Skip to the content
- Szeling, an introvert born on the Taurus-Gemini cusp in Singapore. At age four, he surreptitiously picked up a camera while his father is asleep. Szeling shot his first roll of film and completed a series of “snapshot aesthetic” images around the house. His mom wasn’t particularly impressed with spending on the processing and printing the images she could not relate to. Szeling believe it’s probably too conceptual for her liking.
- Against his parents idea, Szeling conspiratorially abandoned Mechanical Engineering for Graphic Design at Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts. Yet lacking good drawing abilities, he turned to lensman-ship to compliment his studies. For reasons unknown, Szeling got addicted to the chemical smell in the darkroom. His soul never left the mysterious dark side since.
- After a two year of National Service in the Army, he furthered his education at Birmingham Institute of Art & Design in England, earning an honour degree in Visual Communication. Two years of experience in England has significantly shaped Szeling’s aesthetic and photographic style.
- Being a multi-faceted photographer and a versatile expressionist, Szeling’s work often shows great affiliation with mood, blending his passion with “situ” photographic style, Szeling strength comes not from the lens, but in his eye.
- Over the years, Szeling had quietly shot numerous works that gained international recognition. These awards include Communication Arts, Cannes Lions, The One Show, Clio Awards, Asia-Pacific Adfest, Singapore Creative Circle, and having his works consistently being selected to be showcased in Lurzer’s Archive’s “200 Best Ad Photographers Worldwide” .